Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Another "breaking lease for job in another state" -- Texas law

Posted by LEG on June 02, 2000 at 00:29:16:

I live in El Paso, Texas and find myself in a terrible bind. My lease doesn't expire until February (this is June). I've been told I may not have a job in 30 days (the place is falling apart rapidly). I have two possible job opportunities in another state.

The manager of the complex said I would have to pay the 85% penalty for breaking the lease early --- PLUS -- I would have to continue to pay the full monthly rent until the apartment could be rented out. That could be 7 months and over $5000! I was aware of the penalty but not the continuation of rental payments (it was in VERY small print and not verbally communicated).

From reading old posts, it looks like I'm proverbally screwed.

Is there no law that provides for "personal hardship" other than medical or military reasons? Is there any possible way I can avoid living on the street in a new city and state while I pay for an empty apartment back in Texas? Has there ever been a precedent of a landlord accepting a larger penalty in lieu of the continuation of rent payments --- or --- Does anyone have a large tent they can lend out??

H--E--L--P!!!!

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name