Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Without lease, he can charge whatever he wants...

Posted by MikeW on May 30, 2000 at 13:30:31:

In Reply to: Cash only? How much can rent be raised, if unregulated. posted by Leonard M. Castrianno on May 30, 2000 at 09:01:27:

If you have a lease, you only have to pay the rent specified on the lease. When it renews, the LL can charge whatever he wants (or not renew it at all).

If you don't have a lease, the LL can up the rent on 30 days notice. Again, he can charge whatever he wants.

There isn't really a whole lot you can do if you're not regulated.

: My landlord came over this past memorial day weekend. He informed that my rent will be going up August first $275.00. The reason. He has 13 children and he just payed for two of them to get married. I know that he is probably out of his mind, however if I don't agree he is going to kick me out. I have been paying $1275.00 for the past two years and have had a perfect payment record and I live in an unregulated 4 apartment building. Now the rent will increase to $1550.00 for a 850 square foot two bedroom in Williamsburg Brooklyn. I also, want to add that he WILL ONLY accept the rent in cash. No paper tender of any kind. What can I do and is Williamsburg worth it? I know it is very popular, but come on already. I stayed out of Manhattan so that I would not pay over $1500.00.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name