Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Late fees

Posted by Coop renter on May 30, 2000 at 09:59:15:

In Reply to: Late fees posted by Michelle on May 30, 2000 at 09:48:07:

: I sublease a coop in Yonkers. The coop board recently instituted a $25 late fee for all payments received after the 5th. My landlord, who is also the managing agent for the building has always instructed me to put my rent payments under the super's door. I did this on May 5th, and now in this month's rent notice he is charging me an additional $25 late fee.

: My lease doesn't have a provision for late fees, and technically I am not a shareholder, can the landlord charge me a late fee when he cashed my check after the 5th? What can I do to protect myself so this does not become an omgoing problem every month

: Thank you

You are right: the new rule by coop board means that your shareholder can be charged a late fee if his payment is late, not yours. You should be paying him and then he pays the coop. He can't alter your no-late-fee-clause lease to include this new late fee unless there's a clause that says your lease automatically gets updated to include new rules made by the coop board.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name