Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Moving Out - Living off the security

Posted by Jeffrey Cohen on May 28, 2000 at 18:18:46:

I live in a NYC apartment (west village area) that is not stabilized nor does it fall under any rent regulations. I have the standard apartment lease from the Real Estate Board of New York. I am purchasing a co-op and awaiting approval from the board. My lease ends 6/30/2000. Here is what I plan to do in terms of moving out: Can you please advise me if this will cause trouble, or what I should do to protect myself?

1. I will send a certified letter 6/1/2000 indicating I am going to vacate the apartment in broom ready condition on 6/30/2000. I will indicate that I am living off the security deposit, and that they are welcome to check the premises for damages prior to 6/30/2000.

2. In the event my co-op is not available until sometime in July I plan on staying in the apartment and paying the old rent on a pro-rata basis. I won't know the timing until the 3rd week in June. I would inform them of any stay beyond the lease term in writing, indicating that I do not have any intent to renew the lease, but that I am awaiting closing on the co-op.

The management company is extremely litigious and I've had numerous battles with them in the past. Please tell me the best way to protect myself given my intentions.

Thanks a million,
Jeffrey

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name