Posted by Jeffrey Cohen on May 28, 2000 at 18:18:46:
I live in a NYC apartment (west village area) that is not stabilized nor does it fall under any rent regulations. I have the standard apartment lease from the Real Estate Board of New York. I am purchasing a co-op and awaiting approval from the board. My lease ends 6/30/2000. Here is what I plan to do in terms of moving out: Can you please advise me if this will cause trouble, or what I should do to protect myself?
1. I will send a certified letter 6/1/2000 indicating I am going to vacate the apartment in broom ready condition on 6/30/2000. I will indicate that I am living off the security deposit, and that they are welcome to check the premises for damages prior to 6/30/2000.
2. In the event my co-op is not available until sometime in July I plan on staying in the apartment and paying the old rent on a pro-rata basis. I won't know the timing until the 3rd week in June. I would inform them of any stay beyond the lease term in writing, indicating that I do not have any intent to renew the lease, but that I am awaiting closing on the co-op.
The management company is extremely litigious and I've had numerous battles with them in the past. Please tell me the best way to protect myself given my intentions.
Thanks a million,
Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup