Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: corporate relocation: CT

Posted by JJ on May 27, 2000 at 13:42:15:

In Reply to: corporate relocation posted by JAY on May 26, 2000 at 22:50:06:

: I can't find anything on this. My husband was relocated to connecticut by his company for what was supposed to be a year. We found a house and the company leased it for one year, put up the deposits and paid the rent. Then after 6 months they decided they wanted us to move back. We like it here and decided we want to stay, mostly because we don't want to disrupt our children again when they just got used to their new school, now they want to pay off the lease and we're on our own. My question is; in the lease they are listed as tenant, we are listed as occupant by name. The lease simply states they are leasing the house for us to occupy for that time period, they have paid off the lease. Do we have to move or have they simply paid our rent til the end of the lease period as a realtor suggested.

From what you've said, I agree with the realtor: your lease is paid in full for one year and you can stay. Two things to research: the renewal clause and the job contract.

Renewal: it might be renewable only by the corporate tenant, not you the human occupant. If they exercise this option for another employee, you're outa there. Otherwise, negotiate directly with the owner.

Employment contract: if this corporate rental was tied to the job, you might have to give it up now. You'd find this in your employment papers, not the lease itself.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name