Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Lesson Learned But....any advice?

Posted by carol on May 26, 2000 at 20:21:33:

Before renting his Upper West Side Co-op studio apartment to me, the co-owner asked to meet me. He took my application and said, "The availability of this apartment is contingent upon the sale of another unit". I should have heard the alarm bells right then.

A week later his broker told my broker the apartment was available and my application was accepted. *After* I moved in I found out that what he wasn't telling us is that the "other" property is the apartment next door! He sold them *both* to a guy who is going to blow out the wall and make it one apartment. The new owner informed me the lease is for one year only and he will not renew it. Now I have to move again in the spring, and probably pay a brokers fee again... etc...etc.. etc..

I've been told since this is a sublease in a co-op, I have no legal recourse whatsoever. The broker I work with expressed her regret and anger. She said it's her experience that other brokers tell her when a rental is one year only and won't be renewed. She says she will see if her boss will consider giving me a discount if I need their services next year.

Any other advice? Any "brokers" association I can gripe to? Or am I just pooerer and wiser?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name