Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Housing Lawyers: low-income help

Posted by Anna on May 26, 2000 at 08:15:38:

In Reply to: Housing Lawyers posted by Rob on May 24, 2000 at 23:55:46:

: I have contacted all 5 lawyers who have advertisements on this site. One lawyer spoke to me for free, but wanted a retainer. Two more lawyers told me they wanted a $80 and $100 consultation fee and would want at least $1500-$2000 retainer. Two never responded whatsoever.

: I have AIDS and I live with my Dad who is making $20,000 and we pay $800 a month rent here. How does someone get the help they need without spending more money than they will get back? My particular case can't be done in housing court apparently, but I'm really at a loss for why this can't be done more economically..

: Does anyone have any ideas?

Legal Aid is grossly underfunded and takes very few cases; however, you should still visit your local office in person (during drop-in hours, if it has them). They will be able to refer you to other underfunded agencies...

Other ideas: contact your HIV community service office: they might be able to help with a referral or with community political connections for help with future problems.

Is your Dad a senior citizen or close to it? Contact your neighborhood senior center.

Go to your Community Board or Assemblyman's office: you'd be surprised how much more quickly city agencies act when they report violations compared to when we the tenants do.

I looked for an earlier post in May under your name, nothing. What does this refer to?: "(I'm the guy whose apartment was declared illegal by the Dept of Buildings and now
the landlord is working overtime to harass us to get out.)"

In any case, read the Harassment sections on TN Home, file complaints with all appropriate agencies. And if this is an "Illegal Three" (single- or two-family dwelling illegally converted to 3 or more), contact the Queens Borough President even if you're not in Queens: http://www.queens.nyc.ny.us/presiden/convert.htm

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name