Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: breaking lease

Posted by JJ on May 24, 2000 at 19:38:04:

In Reply to: breaking lease posted by Erin on May 24, 2000 at 11:41:52:

: Foolishly, my roommate and I signed a 2-year lease for our apartment that doesn't expire until 11/2001! I am exploring the legal and logisitical implications of breaking the lease by the summer or fall. I read that in some states, it is legal for a tenant to break the lease in the case of medical illness, which is our scenario. Anyone out there with legal expertise who could tell me if this true for NYState? If so, what needs to be provided? How is this handled delicately with the sick party involved? How do we move forward?

: I have not yet broached the subject with our landlords who are friendly. I anticipate they would be able to work with us without penalty (I hope.) What are the steps we should take? I do not want to be penalized for paying the rent on such a long term lease. Do we get an agreement in writing? Make arrangements for another renter? Etc.

: If anyone has had a similar plight or has successfully broken a lease, let's compare notes (I've read a few postings already.) Thank you very much.

There is something about the elderly being able to break the lease to go into a nursing home, not sure if it covers younger disabled people....

Best bet: sublet or assign.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name