Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

You are responsible

Posted by MikeW on May 24, 2000 at 13:43:13:

In Reply to: fire posted by gg on May 21, 2000 at 10:46:51:

The LL will likely be responsible for repairing/replacing everything he put in the apartment (cabinets, appliances, whatever). His insurance will likely cover it.

However, there is another issue. If you caused the fire, accidently or not, the LL or his insurance carrier will likely sue you for the total damage. In addition, if the personal property of any other renters were damaged, you can get sued for that also. I hate to agree with Rich here, but if you had renter's insurance, the liability coverage would kick in, and you'd be okay. However, you're responsible whether you're covered or not.

This happened in my sister's building. A guy upstairs had a fire, and everybody ended up suing him.

I ha

: i have had an accidental kitchen fire in my rent stablilzed apt. in nyc. There are approximately 36 units in my building which was built in 1936.
: I have had a lease for this apt. for about 6 years
: There has been excessive structural damage and I have had a problem determining what the landlord is responsible for, I am aware that i am responsible for all my personal belongings but what about windows, major appliances, bathroom sinks and tubs etc.??

: can anyone gve me info?
: thanks-gg

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name