Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Thanks

Posted by Andre on May 22, 2000 at 15:24:39:

In Reply to: Re: 2 months rent in advance posted by Anna on May 21, 2000 at 14:56:40:

: : June and July are the last two months of my lease. Three years ago I put up two months rent to get my apartment in Brooklyn, NY. Since then the apartment has changed ownership about three times. Can anyone please tell me if I am required to pay the last two months of rent? Judging from the looks of the new owner I doubt that I will get my 2 month advance back in a timely fashion. If I continue to pay the last 2 months of rent

: If you're stabilized, this was illegal. If not, you probably paid "first and last months' rent" and one month security deposit when you moved in. Hopefully, you have receipts and this is written on your lease. Whether it was called last month's rent or two months' security, the old owner was required to give it to the new owner.

: Many experienced NY renters would suggest not paying the last 2 months' rent as the fastest and easiest way to recover you security. However, landlords are suing for eviction for non-payment very fast lately: in June for June rent...

: Search this board for many previous discussions and read about your rights on TN Home, NY Tenants Info section.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name