Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Installating Window Air Conditioner

Posted by JJ on May 21, 2000 at 08:25:10:

In Reply to: Re: Installating Window Air Conditioner posted by Mark Smith on May 20, 2000 at 17:09:08:

: Years ago, when window air conditioners first became common in apartments, there were several court cases involving this issue.
: There was one rule for Manhattan and the Bronx (Appellate Division, First Department) versus another rule for Brooklyn, Queens, and Staten Island (Appellate Division, Second Department).

Wow! landlords tried to evict tenants for A/C's?

: In one jurisdiction, the air conditioner could extend only to the building line, while in the other jurisdiction, it could extend to the windowsill, even if the windowsill was beyond the building line. Beyond that, the landlord could get a rent increase.

: D.H.C.R. now allows a charge of $5.00 a month if the air conditioner extends beyond the WINDOW line.

Always wondered why they could charge $5 extra even when the tenant pays for electricity directly to ConEd. Tenant pays for A/C, pays for usage: WHY should landlord get $5???

: I don't know of any windown air conditioners that don't extend beyond the window line.

Most of those installed through the wall are flush with the exterior of the building.

"Window line" ? how does DHCR define this term? is it window sill, building line, or the actual window itself? Many window sills extend a foot or more beyond the window itself. Mine does. My A/C does not.

: Your lease might also contain a clause prohibitting air conditioners without the landlord's written permission.
: D.H.C.R. Fact Sheet #27 about air conditioners:

: http://www.dhcr.state.ny.us/ora/pubs/html/orafac27.htm

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name