Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Installating Window Air Conditioner

Posted by Mark Smith on May 20, 2000 at 17:09:08:

In Reply to: Installating Air Conditioner at the window posted by Mark Kam on May 20, 2000 at 15:57:30:

Years ago, when window air conditioners first became common in apartments, there were several court cases involving this issue.

There was one rule for Manhattan and the Bronx (Appellate Division, First Department) versus another rule for Brooklyn, Queens, and Staten Island (Appellate Division, Second Department).

In one jurisdiction, the air conditioner could extend only to the building line, while in the other jurisdiction, it could extend to the windowsill, even if the windowsill was beyond the building line. Beyond that, the landlord could get a rent increase.

D.H.C.R. now allows a charge of $5.00 a month if the air conditioner extends beyond the WINDOW line. I don't know of any windown air conditioners that don't extend beyond the window line. If the air conditioner has no side vents or top vents, it might be possible to prop it up inside the apartment, and construct side panels, to avoid extending beyond the window line.

Your lease might also contain a clause prohibitting air conditioners without the landlord's written permission.

D.H.C.R. Fact Sheet #27 about air conditioners:

http://www.dhcr.state.ny.us/ora/pubs/html/orafac27.htm

or click on the link at the end of this message

:
: I am a rent stablized renter at Astoria, New York. I just put up an air conditioner at my window. Since I live at the ground floor, the landlord is complaining about my A/C sticking too much out the window. He wants my A/C to be flushed with the side of the building. He is afraid that somebody might walk by and get hit in the head by the A/C. Thus causing a law suit or something.

: There is no way that I can pull my A/C enough into my apartment. So that the back of the A/C is flush with the outside building exterior. Does anyone know if there is any regulation as to how far my A/C can stick out the window/building? I checked various websites for the housing department. However, no information regarding my issue is posted anywhere.

: Any help

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name