Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Violent neighbor

Posted by Dorothee Benz on May 19, 2000 at 11:11:47:

I live in a rent-stablized building with five apartments. The guy in 2R is a raging alcoholic, beats his wife, has broken into other apartments, and I believe had broken into my truck twice. He also routinely breaks into the mailboxes, and at least two other tenants here have had problems with missing mail; naturally, we assume it's our violent neighbor. One of his preferred weapons is breaking glass. At least once a week the hallway and/or the stairwell is covered in broken glass; mostly beer bottles, sometimes broken windows. In addition, the floors in the hallway and stairs are usually covered in spilt beer, sometimes pools of it, always sticky and smelly. Myself and two other tenants have had to call the police repeatedly when the domestiic violence gets bad. Last year, his wife went to the hospital with 19 stiches after he broke something over her head. The noise factor from all the banging and screaming and crashing--usually between midnight and 6am--is quite intense as well. In short, this guy is a nightmare and the the rest of us fear for our safety and our property. I also feel like I should have the right to a hallway that is not covered in broken glass and stale beer. Oh, incidentally, the guy is also the super--not that any of us ever go to him for anything anymore.

The landlord, ah that landlord--he shrugs and says, "I can't do anything." We call him repeatedly whenever something happens.

In asking around, my information is this: the landlord CAN indeed do something, if he wanted to. He could start an eviction process, based on the claim this guy is a nuisance. Of course, he gets his rent so he doesn't care. I am told that the best course of action is to send a letter to the landlord on behalf of as many of us tenants as are willing (I believe I can get three organized, inclduing myself) documenting the situation and saying we will withhold rent until he takes action. He will then takes us to court to get the rent and we might be able to work out a settlement that says we agree to pay the rent if he takes action. And when he does, we will most likely have to testifty again the nightmare neighbor.

For those reading this -- does this seem accurate? Are there other suggestions to apply pressure to get this guy out? Normally, the idea of trying to evict someone is anathema to me, but this guy is really, really trouble and it is getting progressively worse. I am told he's been ordered into AA, etc. Every once in a while he spents a few nights in jail. Nothing deters him. Please offcer any suggestions you may have.

Living in fear and filled with rage,
D. Benz

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name