Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Need help interpreting DHCR rent history

Posted by Anna on May 17, 2000 at 22:05:23:

In Reply to: Need help interpreting DHCR rent history posted by Stacy on May 17, 2000 at 11:35:39:

: In a reply to my post last week ("managing agent charging broker's fee--illegal?"), someone suggested I contact DHCR to obtain a rent history for my deregulated apartment, to make sure it was legally deregulated. (The apt is a studio in a pre-1974, six-unit building). Recieved the history yesterday in the mail, but am not sure what to make of it. It starts in 1996, and reads (verbatim):

: 1996 & 1997: Temporarily Exempt, Commercial/Professional (NO C/
: 1998: Permanently Exempt, High Rent Vacancy
: 1999: Exempt, Registration Not Required

: (I've no idea what that (NO C/ is supposed to mean--looks to me like something was cut off). No actual rents are listed.
: What I'm trying to figure out is exactly what "High Rent Vacancy" means. The apt doesn't rent over the $2000 threshold--we pay $1400, the people before us, who moved into the apt in Nov 1999, paid $1350. I've no idea what the place rented for before that. Any help figuring this out would be much appreciated!

: (Also, Anna asked me to let everyone know how well e-mailing DHCR for a history worked. I e-mailed RentInfo@dhcr.state.ny.us May 10 asking how to requst a history; one showed up in the mail yesterday with no further follow-up. Not bad.)

Well, now: very interesting!

If it never was legally registered at AND a tenant paid above $2000 then it became vacant, it cannot be "high rent exempt"!

If it really was commercially occupied, that only means that the first residential rent would be calculated using normal increases during the exempt years...

Does it have a real tenant and a real rent prior to 96?

Three ways to decode the years you posted: take it to one of the local Tenant Clinics (some are listed on TN Home), take it to DHCR in person and request a counselor (25 Beaver or 125th Street: http://www.dhcr.state.ny.us/ora/ora.htm ) , call DHCR and ask to speak to a counselor or supervisor on the phone.

Smells like an overcharge to me...

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name