Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: "Application" fees

Posted by Afron on May 16, 2000 at 20:56:20:

In Reply to: Re: posted by MJ on May 16, 2000 at 16:14:40:

Hey MJ. I definitely know how you feel, man. I went through the No Fee place and I was scammed. In terms of the realtors with the 15% fee on top of the non-refundable application fee, you have to ask the kind of questions that will make them tell you what the REAL story is. Ask them why is there an application fee for an apartment if you are paying a 15% broker's (key word is BROKE) fee? How do they determine who gets the apartment if they accept more than one application fee at a time? Do you have to pay an application fee everytime you want to attempt to get another apartment in their listings? The key, MJ, is to ask the right questions and, my friend, you will get the clue as to whether they are legit or scam artists. Just keep on asking and asking until you get straight answers. Like any business, they have policies to work in their favor, not yours. If you notice that they are getting bothered or disturbed by your questions, get up, thank them for being upfront and walk out. Then pat yourself on the back because you saved yourself from having to deal with a mess of a business and second, the sun always rise the next day. Happy apartment hunting!

: Does anyone know a way of fighting the realtors on their outrageous non-refundable "application" fees? It's just too much that on top of the 15%+ broker's fee, you have to hand them upwards of $50 per person to run a credit check and process a piece of paper (when you can get the report yourself for $8).

: It's especially infuriating in the case of realtors who accept applications and the fees from several prospective tenants simultaneously; this strikes me as being completely unethical. Is there any limit to these realtors' greed?

: Thanks in advance for any tips,
: MJ Devaney

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name