Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: harassment??

Posted by dsc on May 16, 2000 at 12:25:30:

In Reply to: Re: harassment?? posted by MikeW on May 16, 2000 at 10:17:35:

Thanks for all the help and comments. Amazingly enough, after living in my apartment for almost six years, I have made made few adjustments to it so my landlord doesn't have that to cling to. I have made calls to the office and always back them up with faxes or certified letters. While my landlord is indeed trying to make my life miserable so I'll leave, I can stick it out. There just aren't any cheap apartments in Manhattan and I like living downtown.

Again, thanks for the help. p.s. i'm a she.

dsc

: You're right that they probably can't actually force him out. However, they could make his live both miserable and expensive. The most popular LL ploy is to find some insignificant perceived lease violation and haul the tenent into court. Eventually they'll lose, but after making the tenant hire a lawyer, miss work, go through a couple of continuances, etc.. Then, when they lose, they start the process all over again. There's so much money at stake the LLs will try anything that won't land them in jail.

: On the other hand, the LL seems to be giving the guy a blank check. Why not take it, and either go somewhere where the housing market isn't so predatory, or use it as a downpayment to buy a home, so you can actually build equity and benefit from the housing market.

: : : You could try taking him for all he's worth in a buyout. Other wise, you could be in for a long drawn out expensive fight, that you would probably win, but at what cost.

: : Nonsense. There is no way they can evict this tenant just because he is "no longer welcome." A fight over what? He pays his rent, presumably.

: : He may have grounds for a harrassment complaint. Better still, if they won't fix the intercom, he should file a complaint for a reduction in services.
: : First he should write a letter recounting his verbal complaints. Be sure to send it certified mail, return receipt requested.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name