Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

New Rental Nightmare

Posted by Jacqui on May 15, 2000 at 23:19:22:

HELP!! I do not know what to do!!

We just moved here (Yonkers, NY) from North Carolina in February/2000. When I found this apartment, it was in the process of being repaired. I paid the usual fee (months rent, month security, month fee)and then went back home to NC with the promise that the apartment would be ready in two weeks (bad move). When we arrived in Ny that Sunday morning with a 24 foot truck full of furniture, NOTHING was done!! No refridgerator, no stove, broken window, garbage all over the place, toilet not working, tub broke, floors sinking, radiators not working, light fixtures broken, etc. To add insult to injury, for three days every two weeks we have no heat or hot water!! (every other daY the water is barely warm) Calls to the housing office does not scare the landlord. The housing office has a file on him 6 inches thick for the past two years alone!! He has loads of violations and misses court dates constantly. Every oil companiy in the area refuses to give him oil unless theter is cash presented. The plumbers and electricians are freelancers and THEY won't come unless they see cash (they rarely see it)!! I only see him if it is close to rent time. Then he comes and do a few very minor things and asks for the rent two days later.
Oh yes, One morning I started to open my fire escape door, and a pit bull with a head almost as big as my rear end pushed against my door. When he couldn't get in, he stood watch for about an hour. Then I found out that the landlord was aware that a tenent LETS his dog run up and down the fire staircase instead of walking him outside.
This is a rent stablized building with 10 units. Plus the super living in a makeshift apartment in the basement. Even the housing office tell us that this is a bad building, but for some reason he is not held accountable for the things he is doing to the tenents. Any suggestions?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name