Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Rental Application questions

Posted by brenda on May 15, 2000 at 19:02:42:

In Reply to: Rental Application questions posted by Jeff on May 11, 2000 at 16:09:22:

: Hello all - great idea for a site - my first hit. Can anyone tell me - what kind of information am I required to supply a landlord on a rental application? A potential landlord - of a place that I really want - asks (on a generic form) for (1) my social security number, and (2) all financial accounts, account numbers, and balances. I really don't want to give out that information - for obvious reasons. I understand that he has to do credit checks, etc. - but is there another way? Plus - I have my parents as co-signers....so what else could he possibly need? Can he legally reject me for not producing this information? Please advise. Thank you.

I think it's fairly routine to ask for an SS# and other similar information. You will have to supply your SS# anyway in order to get interest on the security deposit (they need it for the IRS). The other stuff is routine financial stuff.
They were asking for this info in the early Nineties, in a slow market, when I got my apt. I'm sure they'll want it even more now, since the market is tight.
You do not have to supply this info but the landlord can reject the application.

A friend of mine, currently looking for an apt., had to supply a photo. That strikes me as illegal because that would enable them to discriminate on race. But they can discriminate (I assume) on the basis of your financial standing. Maybe they want a tenant without a guarantor? That is not unreasonable.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name