Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Joining the Rent Stabilized Fray

Posted by Jerry Weinstein on May 15, 2000 at 00:38:10:

I hope that this query will be treated with respect. This is my first time posting, and I have observed a wide range of responses (from helpful to indignant).

My issue: I need to move for June 1st. While I have a 2-bedroom share I can take in Greenpoint, t'mow I am going to look at a 2-bedroom that is rent-stabilized on the Lower East Side. Unfortunately, I am getting this through a broker, for a 5K fee--nearly ALL of my savings. IF the apartment is decent, I have been duly notified by the landlord and broker, that depending on the amount of repairs/Major Capital Improvements, that the rent will increase according to formula.

Q: Will DHCR give me the prior rent history without being a tenant (or will the verify my tenant status before doing so)??

Once I have that confirmed (as opposed to extrapolating the figure from the landlord and believing him), I have to wait for a contractor to give my landlord an estimate of the work needed. Now, I want this apartment if the rent stays reasonable, but if it's a wildcard and I might not be able to afford it, I don't want to lose the place in Greenpoint.

Comments/Suggestions?

By the way, I am a former rent control tenant of Cambridge,MA -one who saw Rent Control eliminated in my burg. Don't underestimate the power of the NYS real estate interests, they essentially bankrolled the Massachusetts campaign to end rent control, and this went uncovered by media, even The Nation.

Jerry

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name