Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Duh, the 10pm washer is not the owner.

Posted by John on May 14, 2000 at 18:05:16:

In Reply to: Well actually, it does posted by MikeW on May 13, 2000 at 15:13:09:

------ End of Message -----

: The landlord. Although in this case it is likely a corporation, not an individual.

: : : : : I live in a "luxury" rental building that has a washer and dryer and dishwasher supplied as part of the apartment by the managment company. The people beneath me complain to the Doorman at night that my appliances are disturbing them and that I cannot operate them after 10. (The building has "quiet hours" from 10pm to 7am - BUT this isn't in the lease.) When these people complain, the Security Guard/Doorman comes and asks me to stop washing clothes, etc. I tell the Guard that I have a right to wash clothes whenever I want. I also had a meeting with the property's manager and he agreed with me that since the apartment is furnished with these appliances that it's not my problem that the people beneath me can hear the machines.

: : : : : My question is, what can I do/say to stop the Security Guard from beating on my door when these people complain?

: : : : : Thanks

: : : First thing, John, try not calling people obscenities. Yuppie a****e is crude, insulting, and indicates that you are prejudiced and jump to conclusions. Should we assume that you are one of those self-appointed rules enforcers who go around complaining about the smallest violations? Second, you assume that Joe has enough time on his hands to do his laundry at other times. How do you know he's not working an 80-hour-per-week job, or one that takes him out of town constantly? Lawyers at the big law firms, as well as plenty of other people here in NYC, routinely work that much and more. Maybe you sit home all day collecting welfare and unemployment compensation and can do your laundry in the afternoon. You also assume that the tenants below him are not hypersensitive. One of my neighbors complained I was playing my stereo too loud because she could hear it---NOT in her apartment, but only in the hallway. If Joe's downstairs neighbors are of this ilk, they will get nowhere fast when they complain to management and the police.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name