Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Want 9Mo lease instead of 1yr

Posted by Anna on May 06, 2000 at 09:04:42:

In Reply to: Want 9Mo lease instead of 1yr posted by Yuriy on May 05, 2000 at 15:41:59:

: Hi,

: I've signed a 1yr vacancy lease in Staten Island in Sept 99, and now they sent me a standard lease extension to sign for the next year. The only options are 1 or 2 yrs, and I want 9 months because I expect to leave NYC in May 2001. The landlord is a big management company; I called the office to see if I can change the term to 9 months, but their position was "take it or leave it". I like my place and want to stay there for now. Is there anything I can do make them to offer me a 9 month lease? I want to avoid the hassle of breaking the lease in the future.

NO.

You sound rent-stabilized. If so, the rent and eviction protections guarantee a renewal lease on the same terms as your existing lease and for 1 or 2 years, your choice. If you and your landlord agree to 9 months, that's OK too. BUT your landlord will insist that you hire a lawyer to protect himself: if you change your mind 8 months from now. Otherwise, you'll just have to assign or sublet for the last 3 months. Search for those two terms to learn more.

If you aren't stabilized, then whatever you and your landlord agree on is fine, even going without a lease (month-to-month).

Learn the basics: http://www.tenant.net/nyc.html

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name