Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

thief breaks in...who pays for new locks? tenant or landlord?

Posted by jocelyn on April 23, 2000 at 21:54:58:

I live in Santa Clara, CA, in a fairly nice building, above businesses. My roommate and I do not have a lease, the building offers only month to month. There are about 40 units in the building and probably a high turnover rate as well.

There was a robbery in my apt. this past week, early in the morning. I was sleeping at the time and I got up after hearing the door slam. I found my purse, wallet, watch, and cell phone were stolen. I have reason to believe that the thieves have a key and I have no idea how they got in the building or if they live in the building. I have since changed the lock on my door and installed a door guard. The locksmith told me that many keys fit into my door and said that the safest bet was to be off the master key. When I talked to my manager about paying for the locksmith, she says that management couldn't do it. I have already paid the locksmith however I still don't think it is right that the I had to pay. I would like to know if there are any laws requiring tenants or landlords to pay for new locks if a tenant is burglarized or if it is suppose to be stated in the rental agreement. I have found no such thing in my rental agreement. It doesn't say anything about changing locks. It doesn't even have the building owner's name (isn't this required on a rental agreement, in case of complaints?). Incidentally, my manager has said that they change locks after each tenant moves however I don't believe her. If the locks were changed by the maintenance man, he did incorrectly (as the locksmith had noted on the invoice). Help!

Jocelyn

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name