Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Where a tenant should file a rent overcharge complaint in New York City -- never at DHCR!

Posted by Kate on April 22, 2000 at 18:27:30:

In Reply to: Where a tenant should file a rent overcharge complaint in New York City -- never at DHCR! posted by nyhawk on April 10, 2000 at 06:27:02:

I tried to respond to this before, but it seems like it didn't "take" -- my apologies if this question shows up twice.

We filed an overcharge complaint with the DHCR ~10 months ago (unfortunately, long before I discovered this forum). Though we think we have a very good case, the DHCR disagrees and just dismissed it. We are going to look into filing a PAR and getting a lawyer (not necessarily in that order).

Here's the question: at this point, is there any way we can terminate our dealings with DHCR and take our case to court? From what I've read here, it seems ill-advised inasmuch as other courts don't want to take over jurisdiction of a DHCR case -- am I reading this correctly? We did not have a lawyer for our first round, but I think the documentation we entered in our complaint was fairly compelling (though I'm sure a good L-T lawyer would have improved it significantly).

In other words, would it be a mistake now to withhold rent and wait for the landlord to file suit so that we can countersue? Or to get a lawyer and take it to court ourselves?

Sorry if this has been answered somewhere already -- I saw some relevant info but wasn't quite clear.

Thanks in advance.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:


TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name