Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

30 Days notice

Posted by MikeW on April 18, 2000 at 15:11:35:

In Reply to: my landlord is selling my apartment - do I have any rights? posted by Christine on April 18, 2000 at 11:25:40:

She has to give you 30 days written notice. If you fail to leave by that time, she can start an eviction proceeding. If you care to fight, that could take a few months till she gets an eviction order.

: I live in Brooklyn, NY, in a coop that has 8 units. The building is probably 30+ years old. I am not rent stabilized or controlled. I signed a one year lease for this apartment in March of 1998. When February of 1999 rolled around, my roommate and I paid that month's rent and enclosed a note to our landlord that we would like to renew our lease. She never responded, but continued to cash our checks. We have been living in our apartment under this agreement for the past 13 months. Just last week the landlord called and said that she is selling our apartment. She's offered to give us the first opportunity to buy it. Basically, once she gets a bid that is acceptable, she'll ask if we can match it (not likely). In the event that we don't match the bid and have to get out, does she have to give us any certain amount of time? Does she have to give us notice in any form? Does the fact that she's been cashing our rent checks all along in any way imply that we do have some sort of contract/lease?
: Thanks to anyone who responds. Christine

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name