Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

possible evicition proceedings

Posted by Greg Cuffee on April 16, 2000 at 12:56:00:

I live in a rent controlled 4 unit bldg in Park Slope Brookln. I have a situtation in which i'm a tenant in an apt in which the lease in someone elese's name. Last week of March 2000, I lost my job, ( I have since then gotten a new job) and i wasn't able to pay my rent for April 2000 ( due April 1st). Now the lease holder wants to get out of the lease and wasnt's me to move in a couple of days, which is hard to do as I have to find somewhere else to live & move out my posessions and i have informed the lease holder at minimum I would need a week, she advised me that the landlord would change the locks this week ( week of April 17,2000) and neither party have not or dont seem to be willing to dicuss repayment of April 2000, rent and reasonable time to vacate the premises. All I have reccieved are threats from the lease holder as she wants to get out of the lease and she has advised the landlord will let her out of the lease & return her security. My question is what rights do I have if any, and can they change the locks on me ( while i'm at work )
before I have time to move out of the apt, pay the April rent in arrears. It would be important to know that I moved into this apt Nov 15, 1999 and I have been on time with my rent since then with the exepction of the rent for April 2000. Any advise or help would be greatly appreciated, as the lease holder
has threatened me with the possibility the locks will be changed this week, and right at the moment, I'm sitting on " pins & needles ". Thanks

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name