Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Leaving an apt

Posted by pv on April 15, 2000 at 22:30:50:

I live in a 4 family home in Brooklyn. We signed a lease for a term of 10 months from July 15 to May 14 of this year because our landlady claimed that her husban was moving back into our apartment this year.

On March 15, she left us a note saying that she was not renewing our lease ( she gave us no reason) but also added that if we move out earlier it would not be considered a breach of our lease and would be greatly appreciated.

Over the past several weeks, on at least two occasions, she has asked us "Have you found an apartment yet? " "Have you found an apartment yet?" which made us very anxious to move quickly as we felt pressured.

Last week we found an apartment and gave her a written notice saying that we would be moving out on the 22nd of April and that we would pay her rent for this week since we would be moving out before the the end of our lease.

She said it was unacceptable for us to leave and she needed one month's notice and that we would have to pay rent till the end of the month.

She also said that it was unacceptable as she needed time to renovate so she could rent the apartment to her friend for a much higher rent. When I pointed out that she had said her husband was moving back. She said "That is not your concern"
I said "If your husband is not moving in, why have you not offered to renew the lease and then she said "You are dirty tenants" which is a completely false accusation.

I just wantr my security deposit back and I don't really know what my rights are in this situation.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name