Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Landlord poor repairs

Posted by Jennifer on April 10, 2000 at 19:32:00:

Hi All. This is the first time I've seen a site like this, have question about whether or not I can withhold rent and more importantly, am I being petty about the lack of response and quality of repairs being done by my landlord? I've had ant problems, leaking ceilings, mildewed (after being repainted three times) bathroom ceiling, rotted drywall and smelly standing water in the kitchen for the past three months. It was reported to the landlord and the work was either done poorly the first time, or has not been completely successfulyl. I have a four year old and a newborn in the house and in order to solve the ant problem, landlord wants to fumigate. This involved moving virtually everything out of the kids bedrooms, the kitchen, and closets out of the apartment. I'm practically having to move into my car for them to do this! In addition, the original work that was done (relaying kitchen linoleum) was done by two men who left behind beer cans and exposed razorblades in the apartment. Anyways, I'm asking these questions in the forum because everything on the homepage seems only to relate to NYC. I live in upstate Western NY (Rochester) and am not sure if the same laws/rules/practices apply. I have withheld April's rent and refuse to have the apt fumigated due to the presence of both young children. Do I have the right to file complaints about these matters if I've refused to have the place fumigated and they keep having to come back three and four times to redo their own poor work? They're not ignoring the problems, but they're not fixing them effectively either! HELP>>>

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name