Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

When can I charge rent for the rat living between the floors?

Posted by Missy65 on April 08, 2000 at 03:33:38:

I don't seriously want to chage it rent but I live in Ventura County, California in a 2 story townhome for almost 1 1/2 years(in which we have gone through 4 property managers and at the 1st of February changed ownership). We are on a 6 month lease in a complex of 82 units. Okay about 2 months after moved in we hears a rat moving around every night between the floors and it stayed in the same general area. There are many trees in our complex and a water heater closet located outside the apartment, between ours and our neighbor's apartment. The OLD LL responded by setting up traps and never caught anything. About a month later we didn't hear anything until about 2.5 months ago we started hearing it again. I told our LL about it while in the office paying rent, still no response. I let it go for 2 weeks until the rat started making louder noises and clawing at the wood (I can actually hear it that clear) For the first time it REALLY frightened me. So, 1 week ago I gave the LL a wriiten notice of the repair. She lied today when I reminded her and said someone had been out to check it out but I was home the WHOLE day within 1 foot of the water heater closet. She said she'd have them come out again. I have been told several times by others that the access holes need to be closed or it will keep ccoming back and breed. What can I do? I don't have the money to pay for it myself and I am sick of the crap work they do around here to cut their bills! (Lets just say there is a half finished pool, playground, and gated community, and our patio fence is falling down!) Do I hold rent, how do I know something has been done, what happens when I hold rent, can they give me an eviction notice???Sorry so long but I don't like sharing my place with rodents!Thank you!!!

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name