Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Ex-roomate making life hell....the saga continues..

Posted by Melissa in need of sound advice !!!!!!!!!!!!! on April 06, 2000 at 11:46:24:

I recently asked for advice about a roommate who I discovered was not paying the utilities even though she was taking my moeny & money from the other roomie. (poor, selfless guy he is). The home I was in was privatley owned, and she was renting from a landlord.

I sent her a letter stating that I saw the bills and was only giving her 100 (I was living out my last month on a 350 deposit) because she hadn't been paying. I wrote down the past due balances for each utility and the month's balance due for March. She says I must be crazy; the utilities would have been turned off if the bills were that late. However, I had already called under her phone number to make payment arrangements (didn't really make them; just tried to) and got a recording saying the account was too past due to do this.

I also got a copy of the lease that says that if she doesn't pay utilities on time, then she can be evicted, even if they are in her own name.

Now she's sending me degrading emails, calling my boyfriend at work, and for some damn reason she's called my current landlord to get "tenant-landlord" legal advice. (Who is a corporate lawyer and she is fairly acquainted with him) He knows the situation, and he declined to help her. But still.........she's trying to intimidate me. It's kind of working. I'm not sure how far she'll go over what will probably be about 67 dollars worth of utilities.

I obviously screwed up somewhere along the way with how I worded the damn letter. She's 40 years old and I'm 22. She stated that she was "I am sorry you feel so bad" She sent me an email saying she knows I am "just learning about money and bill paying" and that I must have read the payments and past dues wrong. She's very conniving, and I'm scared I broke the last straw of rationality in her head.

As I said before, we had no written agreement. We were almost friends, but now, of course, we're not. I'm afraid this woman os going to ruin my life. Or at least try.

Legally, what can I do to keep her the hell away from me and my now-live-in boyfriend? I reallly don't have the money to retain a lawyer, and I sure as hell don't want to get my current landlord involved. I don't think that paying the money will stop her. She's taken this really personally, and I don't know who I should get involved, or if I should just live in fear of some crazy b---h slashing tires and sending emails. Can I call her current landlord? Should I tell the other roommate? (I told her to tell him herself before I did....now she's saying I can't prove it and i don't know who he'll believe...)

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name