Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Interesting situation

Posted by MikeW on April 05, 2000 at 14:32:45:

In Reply to: illegal sublet situation - PLEASE HELP ME posted by Audrey on April 05, 2000 at 13:59:32:

First, do you know that if he is charging you more than he pays (or 10% more than he pays if furnished), you can sue him for three time the difference between what you pay him and he pays the LL. Make sure you can document that you live there (mail, bills, witnesses), and what you pay.

Regardless of that, the LL has no responsibility to give you the apartment if he evicts you prime tenant, or the prime tenant gives up the apartment.

: I have been living in a great apt. in Manhattan now for 14 months. The guy that I rent from has just told me that it is an illegal sublet and he wants me out ASAP because he can't be bothered dealing with it any more. I pay him more than his rent actually is and at the moment I am trying to find out if the apartment is rent controlled or rent stabalized (I know it is one of the two because the rent is so cheap).

: I also wanted to know if he terminates his lease can I take over the lease without the rent increasing dramatically - considering I have been living there for so long now - do I have any rights???? If so can anyone help me find out what they are??

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name