Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

bad, bad neighbors and negligent landlord

Posted by aggravated on April 04, 2000 at 23:42:03:

Just wanted to ask what can be done about a tenant of a small rent stabilized building in midtown Manhattan who is very simply a despicable person. He is running a business out of the building's basement - he occupies the first floor with his family - which is a constant source of aggravation for neighbors. Beyond the tremendous noise, there are various fumes and odors which permeate the buildings hallways and certain apartments. He has done work with painting, gluing, welding, and grinding metal and other things like that. After doing some research about the business - Daniel White Interiors - it is clear that the Fire Department has issued violation orders and the Buildings Department said that the building was not zoned for commercial use. Trying to talk to him is like trying to talk to an argumentative moron. He ignores the laws and just doen't care about any of the other tenants. His claim - "It's my space and I can do what I want with it!" No matter what the various city agencies do, he simply continues to work. The Fire Department has gone out several times and each time they have issued violations. And what about the landlord? The landlord ignores nine out of ten calls, and when he does respond, he says that he will "talk" to the tenant. Well, I bet you can guess what happens. The landlord claims that the tenant said he would stop working...but obviously he justs keeps doing it. Is there anything that can be done? Does anyone have any suggestions?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name