Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

It gets better!!! Can I break a lease THIS way??

Posted by Joel on April 04, 2000 at 22:11:17:

First of all, thanks to Richard for answering my question a few days ago on the proper procedures for breaking a lease.

As I said in my previous message, I may have to break a lease soon due to the fact that my name is coming up on a list to obtain a government subsidized apartment here in New York City. Well, last night, my downstairs neighbors began to play their music again at full volume, literally shaking the walls. This happens occasionally, but usually stops after a very short time. In 3 months of living here (one bedroom in a multi-unit apartment complex in Brooklyn), I have had to get used to the noise level, which sometimes verges on the intolerable. I have gone downstairs once before and talked to one of my neighbors. He was accomodating that time and turned down the music.

I went downstairs last night at 10:45 p.m. to do the same, and was confronted by the lady who lives downstairs. She cursed me out, told me that if I had a complaint to take it to the landlord, but not to knock on her door again. After calling me an idiot and other nice names, she actually turned UP the music. I called the cops. While I was on the phone with the cops, she rang my doorbell. I answered, and she just stood there, and asked "Is THIS loud enough for you?!" She was completely out of control! The music stopped after that, and the cops said that they would come out if it began again.

I wrote a letter to the landlord, documenting every instance of noise and every complaint I have about the apartment: Aside from the noise, I haven't even gotten a copy of my lease, and it's been 3 months since I signed it. Also, the landlord is impossible to get on the phone. I had to call the broker to call him because "he doesn't give out his phone number." Is this normal?

Is this a gift in disguise? Can I use any of this to break my lease if I have to?

Please e-mail to JoelZenny@earthlink.net

Thanks in advance!

Joel

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name