Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Illegal sublet, deposit, and compensation

Posted by Anna on April 02, 2000 at 20:26:54:

In Reply to: Illegal sublet, deposit, and compensation posted by Jeff on April 02, 2000 at 11:28:03:

Michael was 'rent gouging'.

You were overcharged.

You can sue him for all of the money paid in excess of his rent stabilized rent. You might also be awarded treble damages. First: use search here and on TN Home to learn more about these concepts. Then, asap, take a photo-ID, your sublease, a recent bill with that address on it down to the DHCR office in your borough, get a certified copy of the rent history. Then file a claim in Small Claims court. Some info is available in the Housing Court section.

ps: he owes you the whole deposit too.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:


TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name