Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Information on procedures for breaking a lease

Posted by richard on April 02, 2000 at 15:10:17:

In Reply to: Information on procedures for breaking a lease posted by Joel on April 02, 2000 at 12:08:53:

#1 and the most important thing to do is SHUT UP, dont say a word to the landlord until you have a signed document from them saying you definately have a move in date.......THEN approach the landlord.....

Becuuse if you tell the landlord you are going to move out by such and such a date, the landlord can hold you to it. even if you have nowhere to live!

You probably wont be able to sublet it since you are not coming back, I dont think the landlord would really mind if you gave him 30 days notice or let him keep the security deposit if you have to move in with less then 30 days notice, he'll probably be happy to fix it up and try and get Double what you are paying.

------------------------------------------------------------

: Hello. I recently (in January) signed a 2 year lease in a rent stabilized, multi-unit apartment building in Brooklyn. 2 years ago, i put my name on various waiting lists for government subsidized buildings in Manhattan. I recently received a letter saying that my name was coming up on one of these lists for a studio apartment, and there is a possibility that I may be offered a studio apartment in one of these subsidized units, and I don't think I can afford to pass up a rent stabilized apartment in Manhattan if I am offered one. My rent would decrease substantially. Question(s): what is the legal procedure for breaking my lease? Is there such a thing as another tenant "taking over" my lease? I know I may not have many legal options here, but I would like any information available on this topic. I read somewhere that landlords usually don't choose to take tenants to court who break their leases because it is much more costly than simply finding another tenant and re-renting, but I want to go by the book. Whay do I have to do?

: Thank you!!

: Please e-mail to Joelzenny@earthlink.net

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name