Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: NJ: No defense allowed for nonpayment

Posted by Alice on April 01, 2000 at 21:22:32:

In Reply to: NJ: No defense allowed for nonpayment posted by NJ question on March 26, 2000 at 03:44:22:

I posted the original message & 1st want to thank "Link" for his referral. 2nd, my posting got cut off.

This judge openly declared in the court room prior to my being heard: "If you don't have the money to pay your rent, there is no sense in your being here. You might as well leave now." He gave nothing indicating that a person could lose by default if they walked out of the court. He also did not allow me to present even the least of a defense. He refused to listen to any argument. He just kept saying basically, "Do you have the rent?" (I wasn't giving the rent to a court that wouldn't allow me to defend myself and repeatedly said no.) When I told the judge this guy had taken me to court already 2 times when the rent was paid, he refused to listen. I know NJ Law 2A:42-10.6 states that "the judge of the court having jurisdiction shall use sound discretion in the issuance of a warrant or writ of removal..., and if it shall appear that by the isusance of the warrant ... tenant will suffer hardsh

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name