Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Landlord won't give back my money

Posted by Alice on April 01, 2000 at 20:21:29:

In Reply to: Landlord won't give back my money posted by rich on March 13, 2000 at 23:38:18:

This may or may not be of help to you. I had to take a landlady to court in New Jersey for withholding $300 of a security deposit to "redo her floors". I had offered $100 for her to hire someone to clean up because I had to move everything in a hurry & was tired. The judge ruled in my favor. This woman even brought pictures she had taken of her dog paw prints on the kitchen floor, claiming they were my cats. The unfortunate part is that the judge did NOT make her give me the interest because "it was legally a 2-family house & she occupied the one of the apartments". I don't know if this is right or not. He also did not award the customary 2x damages because of this as well. He DID tell her that clean-up was part of running the business of renting an apartment and that she was not entitled to the $100 clean-up and told her to refund the entire $300. After court she threatened me outside the court room, very viciously. I did not file charges in Municipal Court like I was advised to do. But if it ha

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name