Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: NO PETS, MADE US LEAVE: no, they didn't

Posted by JJ on March 31, 2000 at 23:55:18:

In Reply to: NO PETS, MADE US LEAVE posted by DINA D on March 31, 2000 at 22:40:58:

: In addition to what I said before,
: We never got a chance to tell our side in court, I was 6 months pregnant when we received the summons, and we never went to court. The judgment was entered because we were absent. At this point I feel we are entitled to reopen the case and present the law, which is posted right here on the website (the three month law). I did not really leave willingly. We would have still been living there, if we were not served with the letter to leave. I felt like we had no other options, and had to incur alot of expenses because of the building making us leave.
: This judgment is now ruining my otherwise perfect credit, and I would like to get it wiped off if possible, is there still a chance for this?

You said that they said they would not renew your sublease when it ended. You left months before the end of the lease, owing them 4 minus 2 months security. Then you decided not to respond to a summons. The court gave them a default judgment. You defaulted, they won a judgment for the 2 months you owe them.

Contact a credit agency: perhaps if you pay it fast, your former landlord can agree to erase it from your credit report early.

Next time: don't deliberately fail to respond to a summons, especially for something you actually owe.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name