Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Early termination of standard rent stabilized lease?

Posted by VRC on March 30, 2000 at 13:45:48:

I signed a standard rent stabilized lease for two years dated Feb 1, 2000 and have found my apartment to be awful at best. I paid two months security deposit and already know in the short time I've been here that my landlord is not the type to return a deposit. I plan to give 60 days notice and apply the deposit to my rent. Is this okay? I got burned by a landlord two years ago and am still trying to collect a judgement on a security deposit owed to me--the judge even admonished me by saying that "nobody in NYC pays their last months rent--they apply their deposit!" (even though that particular lease stated I had to pay rent & my deposit would be returned). As such, I don't want to go through that headache all over again. There is no clause in my current lease that refers to a tenant terminating a lease. In case my landlord says I am supposed to pay rent even though I'm moving out, am I obligated by law to pay rent and wait for the deposit which I know will not be returned? Thank you for you help!

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name