Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Eviction for non-payment of rent, what are the chances we can stay?

Posted by Maria on March 30, 2000 at 02:33:46:

We're in Laguna Hills, California (Orange County). A 3-day pay or quit notice was given to us (taped to our door) on the 4th of March. I wrote a check for rent and dropped it off on the 7th. I came home on the 8th to find the check had been voided and left in an envelope on our front door. I then got a call from the leasing agent (large apartment complex managed by a professional property management company) saying that all further communication regarding our rent & lease would have to go to their lawyer because they had filed an unlawful detainer. Legal paperwork arrived on the door on the 10th. I contacted legal aid (husband is disabled but not on disability and cannot work; we CANNOT afford a lawyer) and they charged me $300 to file an answer to the unlawful detainer. That's been filed. Here's my dilemma. If we go to court and they order us to leave, we're up a creek, because we can't rent any place with an eviction on our record. I've already tried to move us out of this apartment and into another, and since all of the complexes around here are large and managed by property management companies, none will lease to us because of the eviction proceedings currently going on. I am wondering what the chances of us being allowed to pay all back rent (which we'll be able to do, since the money that should be paying rent they don't want right now) and stay here would be. Does anyone know? And if not, do you have any suggestions for what we can do to have a place to live???

Thanks.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name