Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

My DOB Complaint Results in my eviction (urgent!!)

Posted by rob on March 30, 2000 at 01:44:41:

I filed a complaint with the Department of Buildings because I live below a doctor's office that refuses to use any restraint in the amount of noise they make on the floor. At first the landlord asked that we call them instead of calling the Doctor's office, and after a few calls to the landlord they started screaming at me to stop calling. The doctor's office sounds as if they lift and drop heavy office furniture several times a day. The noise goes from 7am in the morning until 10-11pm at night, 7 days a week. I wakes me out of a sound sleep, and will startle me like the devil and leave me with my heart racing for 10 minutes afterwards.

I have a lease that ends in June 2001, and it was represented to me that this was a legal apartment because it had its own electric meter. Even the landlord's part of the basement has its own meter, so we thought this apartment was 200% legit. What we did think was the doctor's office (which is more like "medical mall usa", had too much customer traffic & loitering to be allowed in a residential neighborhood.

I only filed this complaint at the DOB last Wednesday. Could they even have processed this so quickly or is the landlord trying to get me out and using this as their excuse? (They're mad because they think I filed a complaint with Dept of Sanitation because the doctor's office does not throw away hazardous waste --hello, acupuncture needles!! legally) How do I get to be allowed to live here, and why did the DOB not tell me that I could be the illegal tenant and my complaint could result in my eviction? Also, does the DOB or any other city agency evict me -- I mean do I get any official paperwork? What do I do at all?!?!

Do I need a lawyer? Also, are we entitled to any refund of our real estate agent's fee from a year and a half ago since that agent rented an illegal apartment to us?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name