Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

roommate woes

Posted by Nyorker on March 25, 2000 at 16:50:52:

I am currently living in a 4 bedroom apartment in Manhattan. Only one roommate is on the lease (not me). 2 of us have given the lease roommate notice that we are moving out on May 1st. She has informed me that she will be taking part of my security deposit for not painting my room. It is in the same bad condition as when I moved in. When I informed her that the landlord was responsible for this she told me she has a verbal agreement not to ask for things and he will then not raise her rent for the next lease period. She is also assigning us random chores, such as defrosting the freezer, that we must comply with or she will take additional funds off of our security deposit. We currently each write 4 separate checks for rent directly to the landlord. I was considering telling her April 1st that she can use my security deposit for the last month's rent. But I am afraid that she will be able to damage my belongings or change the locks in April. Yesterday she had the super change the mailbox lock and told us that she will now be the only one with access. She will give us our mail everyday. What options do I have for getting my security deposit back if I do pay rent on April 1st? What rights do I have if I don't pay the rent?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name