Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

month to month eviction, possible violation of privacy

Posted by Nikki on March 23, 2000 at 11:47:02:

I live in astoria, queens in NYC. My boyfriend and I live on the top floor of a two family brownstone. The owners live downstairs and we pay on a month to month basis. My boyfriend and I have been having problems and have been arguing. I guess it's been loud, so the owners asked us to move. We both agreed to get our own places, but he doesn't have the money to move yet.
Last week (march 17th) their realtor called us and told us that they want us out by April 1st. I put a deposit on an apartment in manhattan (studio for $800!) on 3/20. I have all the paperwork except for a recommendation from the landlord. I always paid the rent on time. I spoke to their realtor about the situation and they spoke to the landlord. The landlord is refusing to give me a letter because Jeff doesn't have an apartment yet. I could lose this great deal on the studio because of their stubborness.
My real question has to do with a possible violation of privacy. On saturday night my boyfriend and I got into a loud argument (3a.m.). It only lasted 15 minutes or so. An hour later the doorbell rings. Before we even get a chance to answer the door, it opens and the police walk in. The landlord let them into our apartment without our permission. They had called the police complaining of an assualt, which didn't happen. The police wrote on the report that the cause for the call was unknown. Is it legal for the landlord to let them in in this circumstance? Also, they never gave us written notice of an eviction!
Help!!!

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name