Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

requirements to cancel lease

Posted by Jennifer on March 22, 2000 at 01:04:36:

I live in Jamestown, North Dakota. I and my roommate are full time college students and part time workers. We rented an apartment of sorts on January 28,2000. The building used to be a deer processing building. The landlord remodeled the main floor himself and rented to us. There is an upstairs that he rents to another couple. There is a back part that used to be where the deer processing used to be done. When we moved in, we were told that that part of the place would be silent. No one would be there. He was going to sell the building. Then about 2 weeks into us moving in, he decided to remodel it as well. He is here at 9 in the morning everyday, and here until around 10 at night. My roommate and I both work late hours due to classes in the day. We can only sleep during the day. He is keeping us from this. I have also come to find out that this place is not up to code. He don't have any windows except two tiny ones by the ceiling. There is one door we can use. And the wiring downstairs in the basement isn't capped? What that means I am not sure but I understand it isn't good. There are outlets out of the walls, and just laying under carpet. The carpeting is only carpet on top of other carpet nailed down occasionally. I have had the building inspectors here today and they are going to get someone else to look because they said it is a fire hazard here. The landlord also has the basement full of plywood pieces and other garbage from the remodeling. We only moved in because we were staying with my mother, but she went to jail and we couldn't afford the rent there so we had to move quickly. The building inspectors said with this we should be able to get out of our lease, but I want to be sure. I want everything to be legal. If anyone can give me any information on what I could be doing or something I should know, please don't hesitate to write. Thanks you.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name