Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

NYC rent stab. raise greater than 2 or 4%

Posted by Todd Schwarz on March 20, 2000 at 15:58:13:

My landlord has just offered me a lease with a raise (set for July 1) from 875 to 950 for one year, or 975 for two years. I am rent stabilized and have lived here since Nov. '96. I received one rent increase, in '99, of 25$. I don't know if he has a right to raise my rent by this much but doubt it as it goes well beyond the 2 or 4 % that I thought is supposed to apply.

In section 2 of the 'Renwal Lease Form' there are 7 columns with some confusing info. Column 'b' lists the "legal rent on Sept. 30 preceding commencement of this renewal lease" as 1196.15. Column 'c' has the "authorized applicable guideline increase", and then column 'g' has the "New rent (if lower rent is to be charged check box" information, which is now above 1200$. My landlord is offering me substantially below this 1200$ value, but nonetheless is giving me a raise much greater than the amounts listed in column c.

If he has not been charging me the column 'b' listed legal rent can he willy-nilly increase to that level and only then be subject to rent increase guidelines or is he bound by what my actual rent is? If it is not allowed, how do I proceed to arrange the lease with no greater than the amount allowed? Is this through lawyers or do I just write a certified letter? Can he evict me without cause if I give him a challenge? He also did not give me full 120 day notice. If I decide to use this to delay an increase, how do I go about enacting the legal delay? Help!!

Thanks

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name