Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: my manager is trying so hard to find a reason to get rid of us even making up lies

Posted by Neek on March 20, 2000 at 05:17:12:

In Reply to: my manager is trying so hard to find a reason to get rid of us even making up lies posted by vani budiman on March 16, 2000 at 22:19:58:

Okay, I don't know the laws in the NY area. But, in TX the scum-lords would probably try to find you a nuissance (problem resident=drug lord or prostitute) by a court of law. This landlord is probably getting together statements from different neighbors about you because you are guilt by association. Now, you may not know the folks at the table but, you are present there when table is in their eyes causing trouble. Here is a piece of advice. Take the following in consideration.

Will you be able to endure:

Find another place to live on short notice in case they find grounds to evict you. Take off from work to appear in court proceedings (if they go that far)
Endure retailation in the name of your principles that may include: Illegal searches of your apartment by the manager. Strict enforcement of rules that were previously relaxed. A landlord that does not fix any repairs that are included in the lease or moves so slow that you think they will never fix problems
Are you willing to do any repairs yourself? Are you willing to seek an attorney for litigation? Are you willing to report and keep records of all communication between you are the landlord? Will you do everything by the book?

These are all worse case scenarios. It sounds to me that it would be easier to lie low and disassociate yourself from openly being around those who the landlord pointed the finger. During this time of solitude, think about whether you want to move out. You might find out that you need and want your freedom. Or, you might find out that laying low is better than finding yourself locked out or your things on the street.

Sometimes, a person can not afford to take the risks above. You have nothing to be ashammed of. You stood up for some of your principles by continuing to sit at the bench. Your "badlord" sounds like a ego maniac. This might take you being the model resident without giving up your beliefs, staying out of sight and being polite. If the harrassment continues, then you need to brush up o

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name