Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Notice to cure-Noise Nuisance HELP

Posted by Freddy on March 15, 2000 at 23:02:20:

I've been living in a rent-stablized apartment that was over a bakery when i moved in. 18 months ago a bar took over the space. The management and the bar owner assured me that it was going to be a nice quiet operation. Well, from the minute they opened the music was a problem. i complained repeatedly to the landlord, tried to get a DEP violation, called the police, etc. and I kept a log of conversations, but I never wrote a letter to the landlord documenting the problem.

About 6 weeks ago, after being sleep deprived for two weeks, I snapped, and created quite a ruckus in my apartment for about five days that was disruptive. It was effective, and the bar has kept the music down. However, two weeks later I got a "notice to cure" from the landlord.

I answered the notice with a letter that I had stopped. However, the landlord is proceeding with the "notice of termination" alleging that I haven't stopped but it is false. They've also refused my rent.

Anyway, my question is, how great is the danger of eviction and should I hire a lawyer. I would like to move, but this is NYC and I can't necessarily just go anywhere.

Thank you in advance

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name