Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Month to month...ANTHONY ANTHONY!!!

Posted by brenda on March 15, 2000 at 15:30:23:

In Reply to: Re: Month to month...ANTHONY ANTHONY!!! posted by Anthony on March 14, 2000 at 09:57:33:

: : : Can the landlord raise your rent at any time? How far in advance must they notify us? How much for a month to month tenant.
: : : I am a month to month tenant for three years, the landlord owns a deli where he employs someone who is from mexico, ( I do not know whether or not they are legal) said employee lives in the basement, where there is a stove,bathroom and only one window toward the back. Emloyee of landlord recently had a child and now employee wife and child live in basement, I believe this is why landlord is raising my rent and has asked us to leave. going to the backyard was always prohibited because of the tenants in basement, we were asked to put a small ladder by the back window to go to the yard. The landlord now refuses to keep a light on in the part of the hallway that my door is near (corridor is about 20 - 30 ft to front door) You cannot see anything even in the daytime and the switch is at the end of the corridor to the front, it is nowhere near my door. A note was put to keep the light off until 6PM. everyone elses dwelling has a light on all day.
: : : Landlord complains about loud music from my apartment, and no one is home all day.
: : : Is this legal?
: : : Is it legal to have a family living in a basement?

You should check with a legal clinic or lawyer if you have any defenses. For example, in case you are living in a rent stabilized building and are supposed to have a lease.
You really need a lawyer if you are facing eviction. You should not accept postings here in lieu of legal advice on a matter that serious.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name