Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

deadbeat landlords

Posted by Lucia Little on March 15, 2000 at 01:03:52:

I moved into a two story home in September after my landlord at my previous address died and my home was sold. There were some weak spots in the floor in the kitchen. The landlords told me they hadn't braced that area when the took out a huge stair landing. There were also some minor things that they promised to have repaired. They used to live in this house, but the husband got transfered to Indiana. I am to pay my rent to their best friends,the husband is to be my "handyman". So far nothing has been done. I found many more weak spots in the floors, asked to have a termite inspector come and when they refused,
I told them I was keeping $100.00 out of rent to call one myself. The house is full-have been told that house has NEVER been treated. They've been back 4 times.. Then late one night I am awakend by a loud crash but couldn't find anything. One week later there was a huge water spot in spare bedroom.
I called to inform them; they said that sometimes the upper downspout backs up and leaks in the rafters. I found out that was a lie when a good portion of the ceiling tile came down!!! The "handyman" inspected and found a hole in the roof! They have promised to come and fix it when the weather warms up. We've
had some warmer weather, but no one,showed up.There is also a leak in the upstairs bathroom that is waterspotting the kitchen ceiling. I have been patient but am getting tired of this. My utility bill for gas and electric was $505.oo for one month alone due to the fact that there are problems with the windows. I am a single parent and am tired of cleaning up their messes. I signed a lease with the intention that these things were going to be taken care
of. What makes it even worse is that the landlord's wife is my aunt's niece.
I've taken pictures of everything and have informed their insurance agent that they have not done any of the work they also promised him they'd do. I am sick and tired of hearing them tell me that they need the money to help put their daughter through college...their are two of them, and I'm trying to do it by myself.If I break the lease can I make them pay for moving expenses? Please can anyone advise?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name