Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Roommate/Help- More info

Posted by Jeannie on March 11, 2000 at 18:08:05:

In Reply to: Roommate/Help- More info posted by Caitlin on March 11, 2000 at 14:06:16:

: Thank you for responding. I live in Williamsburg, Brooklyn. Half of the rent with utilities is 450. He has told me to use the security as this month's rent because he doesn't trust that I will give it back. He says he will not leave until I give him whatever is left on it depending on the day of the month. It's so uncomfortable in my own house I can't stand it. I am here, though (re: you're question). Caity

If you follow Richard's advice concerning the changing of the locks (before he has voluntarily vacated early), you will be in violation of the law, and could end up owing him 3 times the security deposit. Page down to the bottom of the HomePage of TenantNet and read it for yourself: Illegal Lockout.

You want him out in less than 30 days? Pay the @#$%^&: give him the security.

(usually, this would be a wash: you sue for the rent, he sues for the security, the judge tells you both to go home, you're even. Unless he does violant damage to your room.

ps: you are a landlord, he is your tenant. You have to obey all landlord laws. Welcome to the real world.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name