Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Paying Landlord between Rent Demand and Petition

Posted by JJ on March 09, 2000 at 22:45:01:

In Reply to: Paying Landlord between Rent Demand and Petition posted by Laura on March 09, 2000 at 20:20:06:

: I live in Manhattan in a rent-stabilized apartment. I recently received a legal demand for rent, but have not yet received a Petition. I want to send my landlord a payment, but what's the best way to do it, certified check or money order? Even if I send him one of those via certified mail, I frankly don't trust him to deposit the certified check ot money order. Instead he might claim that I never sent him anything so that he can recover possession of my apartment. Thank you for your help.
: P.S. My landlord is not in Manhattan, otherwise I would deliver it myself.

Use your own personal check, not certified. Certified checks & MO's just tie up your money. If he chooses not to cash your check, so be it. You'll have photocopies of everything you send and the USPS receipts.

Mail it certified, return receipt requested.

Double-check the name/address on the rent demand: are they the same as on your usual rent bill?

He might file a Petition anyway: do not ignore it. You must answer AT THE COURTHOUSE or risk losing by default even if you are paid in full.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name